Frequently Asked Questions

What level of wine knowledge do I need to enjoy a Vinophoria tour?

Our tours are intended for anyone interested in wine. You donít need a particular level of wine expertise or prior knowledge of a wine region, just a desire to enjoy great wine!Top of page

What will the pace of the tour be like?

We want you to enjoy all that Spanish wine country has to offer, but we donít want to exhaust you with an overly-demanding itinerary. Our tours follow a leisurely pace, and combine scheduled activities with ample free time.
A typical day begins between 9 and 10 a.m., and includes two or three wine activities, one scheduled lunch or dinner, a bit of sightseeing, and opportunities for you to strike out on your own and spend your time as you please.Top of page

How do I book a tour?

Itís easy! See the bookings page of our website.Top of page

Is my payment protected?

Yes. Vinophoria S.L. is a fully-bonded travel agency and complies with legal, financial and insurance requirements under Spanish law and travel agency regulations under the license number CICMA 2076/m.Top of page

How are the tours priced?

Our tours are priced in euros. Final tour prices will depend on the number of participants in the tour, accommodation and restaurant choices, wineries visited, and activities included within the tour or arranged on a custom basis, and will be quoted at the time of booking.Top of page

What is the cancellation policy?

Cancellations must be made in writing (letter, email or fax) by the person who made the booking and received by Vinophoria. Cancellations shall be effective on the business day after receipt of written notice.

The following cancellation charges will be levied per person:
Days prior to the tour departure date:
More than 30 days: 100 Euro administration fee plus any applicable bank charges
Less than 30 days: 100% of the final tour cost

For one day excursions the following cancellation charges will be levied per person:
Days prior to the tour departure date:
More than 7 business days: 100 Euro administration fee plus any applicable bank charges
Less than 7 business days: 100% of the final tour cost

Some tours or corporate events may be subject to a different cancellation policy which shall be provided to the client in writing prior to contracting services. No exceptions shall be made to any tour cancellation policy.

For additional cancellation policy information, please see the terms and conditions.Top of page

What costs are included in the price of the tour?

The final price quoted for a tour includes: hotel accommodations; breakfasts, lunches and dinners as specified in the itinerary; fees for winery tours and tastings and other wine or culinary activities as detailed in the itinerary; entrance fees to selected cultural sites/museums listed in the itinerary; ground transportation during the tour; tips at restaurants included in the itinerary and for baggage handling at hotels; and all applicable IVA (value added tax) charges.

Lunches and dinners included in the itinerary are pre-arranged, set menus of 3-6 courses and include mineral water and coffee/tea. When wine is included in the menu it is calculated at one bottle per two people.

The following extra expenses are not included: flights to and from the tour departure city; single supplements; customs fees; meals that are not listed in the tour itinerary; extra bottles of wine, other beverages, or Š la carte items ordered during a pre-arranged set meal; extra bottles of wine purchased at wineries; taxis taken by the client during ďfree time;Ē hotel incidentals such as telephone charges, laundry costs, or mini bar charges; excess baggage fees; any medical expenses; any other expenses incurred by the client that are not specifically listed as included in the tour.Top of page

Is airfare included in the tour price?

Airfare to and from the departure city of the tour is not included in the tour price. Because our clients come to Spain from a variety of destinations, we do not arrange flights to Spain. We also feel that due to the wide range of booking options and airline choices that this is best left to personal choice. However, we will refer you to another qualified travel agent to book flights should you request this service.Top of page

What is a single supplement charge?

Most hotels price their rooms as doubles and do not reduce their rates if they are occupied by only one person. Accordingly, our tour prices are based upon double occupancy. Should a guest require a private room we will add this additional cost--the single supplement--to the tour price.Top of page

What kind of documentation do I need to bring?

Citizens of the EU need a valid passport or national identity card. Citizens of Canada or the USA need a valid passport; for a stay of less than 90 days it is not necessary to obtain a visa.

We highly recommend that you bring copies of your passport, national identity card, travel and medical insurance documents, and a list of all credit card account numbers and contact numbers to report lost or stolen cards.

If you have purchased travelerís cheques, keep a list of the cheque numbers and denominations apart from the cheques.Top of page

How much extra spending money will I need?

This is entirely up to you! Not all meals are included in the tour itinerary. Youíll need enough spending money to cover meals on your own, your personal expenses and any activities (such as shopping!) undertaken during free time.Top of page

What is the currency in Spain and what types of payment/credit cards are accepted?

The currency in Spain is the euro, as in other EU countries. Foreign currency can be exchanged at all bank branches and currency exchange shops in airports and in major cities. Travellerís cheques are also accepted in most hotels, restaurants and shops. You will be asked to show your passport or national identity card upon exchanging cash or Travellerís cheques.

ATMs are plentiful in medium-sized and large cities in Spain, but are not always available in small villages. Internationally recognized credit cards are commonly accepted in shops, restaurants and hotels. There are usually signs indicating this payment option at the entrance to the establishment.
When you use a credit card, you will be asked to show your passport or national identity card. Visitors from outside the euro zone generally get a better exchange rate by making purchases with a credit or debit card.Top of page

What will the weather be like?

When touring a winery it is always advisable to carry a light sweater or jacket, regardless of the season, as cellars are slightly humid and maintain constant low temperatures.Top of page

Will I be able to use my cell/mobile phone?

Spain uses GSM 900/1800 which is compatible with the rest of Europe and Australia but not with North American GSM 1900.

If you are coming from the USA and want to use your cell phone in Spain, you will need a rounded, two pin plug adapter and a transformer. Electric current in Spain is 220V, 50Hz. Check with your service provider to make sure that they offer coverage in Spain, and activate international roaming. Be sure to find out about rates and international roaming charges.

Another alternative is to rent a cell phone in Spain, or purchase and install a SIM card to use with your personal phone if it is a GSM phone that supports 900/1800 frequencies.Top of page

Is Spain safe?

In general, Spain is one of Europeīs safest countries for visiting tourists. That said, it is always necessary to exercise caution and common sense as you would when traveling anywhere. Be reasonably attentive in crowded areas and aware of your personal possessions.
Take the same preventative measures you would in any big city: when in public, be discreet with cash and other valuables; carry small amounts of cash; never carry an unclosed bag; donít leave baggage or belongings unattended; consider using a money belt for passports, cash, etc; and use the hotel safe for valuables.Top of page

Can I drive in Spain?

If you are planning to book a self-driven tour with Vinophoria we will provide you with specific information depending on your country of origin. We will also give you detailed information regarding driving regulations, road conditions, etc. in Spain.

To drive in Spain you must be over 18 and have a valid driverís license. If you are from the USA, you will also need an international driverís license. If you are the citizen of an EU member state, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, or of one of the countries that has adopted the standard license as agreed in the Geneva or Vienna conventions: you will only need your valid driverís license. There are additional insurance requirements for driving a foreign vehicle in Spain.Top of page